As for as completing resolutions, 2014 was not a great year. As for facing unexpected challenges and embracing lots of change, 2014 was incredible. The movie-like vision I had for the second half of the year, included me passing the bar exam, finding an incredible job, having a baby, and easily becoming a family of four. Depending on how you view it, the reality is darker and richer than my expectations. I am still figuring out my next move professionally. The baby is hard and wonderful; the transition to a family of four has been tough, but also filled with so many tender moments. 2014 kicked my ass and broke me. I am still figuring out answers to two big questions: What next? Who am I now? As I figure it out, I am learning to be patient and move with kindness.
When I think about what I want to do in 2015, there are a few resolutions I am going to work on all year and then others which will be seasonal. As you look back on 2014 and ahead to 2015, I hope you feel happy about the good things that happened and excited about the great things to come!
Recap of 2014 resolutions:
- Read at least 25 books (gulp!) this is one more than last year, but the number seems intimidating. Once I finish all my reviews, they will be posted here. I believe the total will be 16.
- Complete at least two reading challenges for which I will sign up. I actually completed the chunkster challenge of which I am pretty proud. Once I finish my reviews; they will be linked on that challenge post.
- Post at least (on average) four times a month. I fell short by a few posts. There were a few months when I either did not have energy to write or was just consumed with other things.
- Figure out how to feel more satisfied and fulfilled with my current job or gather courage to take a step toward something new. As hard and awful as it was, I am glad to not be in the toxic environment anymore.
- Create a will and make end of life planning documents with Partner. We kept putting it off and did not finish.
- Merge our finances. Still not done
- Cook together with the Little One. We have had some more cooking adventures together which is really fun and satisfying.
- Complete potty training-- YES!!
- Have the Little One jump with two feet: One of her favorite things and I am so glad.
- Have 2013 greetings created and mailed out before the end of the year: Barely got them out the door; the last ones went out on December 31st!
- Create a first year baby album of the Little One to give as a gift to Partner for either Valentine's day, Father's Day, her birthday, or our wedding anniversary: Negative. Good gift ideas for the future though
- Organize our tupperware drawer/cabinet. Tuppperware has gone rogue in our kitchen. By containing the containers, maybe that will reduce that chaos in the kitchen: Hilarious because I have not thought much about organizing this space since most of our house is consumed in chaos.
- Average of at least twice a month, take the Little One on an adventure. Something outside the house that brings us both joy or at least the promise of joy. I think that we did it, but hard to know for sure
- Go on a date with Partner average of at least once a month. Missed it by a lot
- Have sex with Partner on average at least TWICE a month. Pregnancy, newborn, and toddler. Enough said.
I am going to make a smaller list for all year 2015:
1. Read one more book than I did last year; I believe the number will be 17.
2. I am hooked on signing up for reading challenges. I would like to complete at least one.
3. I want to host a party. More details here.
4. Cooking: I want to get food on the table.
5. Try again to post on average four times a month
For the winter season, I want to do the following:
1. Build a snowman with the Little One.
2. Try a new soup recipe and make a soup recipe I enjoyed before.
3. Get a picture of the Little Mister experiencing snow (weather permitting).
4. Have one hour of alone time with Partner outside the house.