I was very detailed and specific in my resolutions for 2015. When I read those entries now, I feel both admiration for the person I was hoping to be and amazement that (yet again) life takes many unexpected turns. I loved getting to know Little Mister over the past year; watching him transform from a baby into a little boy is a treasure. Many of my happiest moments are of him, Little One, and Partner. The Little One continues to develop both spunk and sass. We had a lot of fun adventures together as a family. We made a HUGE move from MA to MD. We are closer to family and it is wonderful for us, but especially the kids, to be part of a community that is a blend of family, old friends, and new friends.
The past year was also rough. Job drama led to many sleepless nights, anxiety about the future, and questions about capabilities. Transitions are hard, but it is the toughest to experience with the Little One. We cried a lot over missing MA and getting adjusted to a new school, doctor, house, and routine. She is smart and insightful; I do not feel fully grounded and I think that makes her worried. Partner likes his new job, but the work culture is different. He struggles with the trade off of attending department events and spending time playing with the kids in the evening (as opposed to only seeing them at night while trying to get them fed and to bed). Partner and I continue to work on finding time for each other; trying to recharge as a team is crucial and so difficult with growing kids and limited budget. Because of the rush and struggle to get the kids to have dinner and then sleep, we often do not eat together. We sometimes pick up dinner as a treat (and because it is easy). I am struck that my treat dinner does not taste that good when I am eating quickly alone after everyone has gone to sleep, so that I can clean up and get to bed myself.
Oh 2015, you rocked and shook me to the core. Here's a look back at how I did on the resolutions:
1. Read one more book than I did last year; I believe the number will be 17. I did not write up a single review on the blog for a book I finished in 2015. When we moved to our new place, I stopped looking at my phone or watching television while I breastfeed. Instead, I started reading a book. I also tried to read a few pages before I slept at night. The result, I READ 18 BOOKS and actually met my goal!!! BOOM!
2. I am hooked on signing up for reading challenges. I would like to complete at least one. Since I did not officially sign up for any reading challenges, I did not complete any. However, if I had signed up, I would have completed the ongoing South Asian Reading Challenge.
3. I want to host a party. More details here. We had a great birthday party for the kids. Did not come close on this one; pushing it to 2016.
4. Cooking: I want to get food on the table. Lost track, so do not think I did. Going to scrap this one.
5. Try again to post on average four times a month. For the first time since I made this resolution, my blogging has decreased. I posted a total of 13 times in 2015. It is an all time low. Hoping to bring it up to averaging two times per month.
For the winter season, I want to do the following:
1. Build a snowman with the Little One. Check
2. Try a new soup recipe and make a soup recipe I enjoyed before. I feel like I did this, but cannot remember.
3. Get a picture of the Little Mister experiencing snow (weather permitting). Check
4. Have one hour of alone time with Partner outside the house. One of the nice things about the Little One's new school is that they have monthly Parents Night Out where we can drop off both kids for 4/5 hours for a relatively low cost and then have a date. Partner and I have done this three times. The dates are relatively simple: dinners out, movies, book store browsing, walking around holding hands, but ALONE TIME is AWESOME!