**I missed the goal by ONE book. Ugh. Better luck next time, I suppose**
I really enjoyed this challenge last year and I actually completed it, so I am excited to try again!
February 1, 2011 through January 31, 2012
Below are the details and sign ups for 2011 ... I've made a few changes which I hope you will like...ie: I've added another level of participation AND I've changed the number of books you need to read for each level.
Definition of a Chunkster:
- A chunkster is 450 pages or more of ADULT literature (fiction or nonfiction) ... A chunkster should be a challenge.
- If you read large type books your book will need to be 525 pages or more ... The average large type book is 10-15% longer or more so I think that was a fair estimate.
- No Audio books in the chunkster. It just doesn't seem right. Words on paper for this one folks. (**Please view THIS POST FOR EXCEPTIONS to this rule)
- No e-Books allowed - we are reading traditional, fat books for this challenge (please see this post to understand the rationale behind this rule; please see this post for exceptions to this rule)
- Short Stories and Essay collections will not be counted.
- Books may crossover with other challenges
- Anyone may join. If you don't have a blog, just leave me a comment on this post with your progress (and to let me know you are playing)
- You don't need to list your books ahead of time.
- Once you pick a level, that's it...you're committed to that level!
You must pick a level of participation:
- The Chubby Chunkster - this option is for the reader who wants to dabble in large tomes, but really doesn't want to commit to much more than that. FOUR Chunksters is all you need to finish this challenge.
- The Plump Primer - this option is for the slightly heavier reader who wants to commit to SIX Chunksters over the next twelve months.
- Do These Books Make my Butt Look Big? - this option is for the reader who can't resist bigger and bigger books and wants to commit to SIX Chunksters from the following categories: 2 books which are between 450 - 550 pages in length; 2 books which are 551 - 750 pages in length; 2 books which are GREATER than 750 pages in length (for ideas, please refer to the book suggestions page for some books which fit into these categories).
- Mor-book-ly Obese - This is for the truly out of control chunkster. For this level of challenge you must commit to EIGHT or more Chunksters of which three tomes MUST be 750 pages or more. You know you want to.....go on and give in to your cravings.
I am going to commit to the Chubby Chunkster level. The books I read for the challenge are:
1. The Chess Garden or the Twilight Letters of Gustav Uyterhoeven by Brooks Hansen: 481 pages. You can find my review here.