I know it has been almost two months since I have posted a review or anything book related. My excuse is that I have been busy with the following things: graduating from law school, getting MARRIED, moving across country, and now preparing for my honeymoon. My pending reviews fill me with guilt and I have a strong desire to just spend time with my brand new Partner. He and I have been long distance for the last three of our five year relationship; I just keep pinching myself because I cannot believe my good fortune in getting to see and spend time with him without getting on a plane!
Enough rambling and excuse making. I am diving back into the reading and reviewing and general merriment. Granted things will likely be slow for another two weeks while I am on my honeymoon. However, when I returned it will be GAME ON!
I have decided to participate in the Everything Austen Challenge which is being hosted by Stephanie's Written Word. From the website: The Everything Austen Challenge will run for six months (July 1, 2009 – January 1, 2010)! All you need to do is pick out what six Austen-themed things you want to finish to complete the challenge. What is considered Austen-themed? Obviously, any of the books Jane Austen wrote herself count, so if you've been contemplating reading one of her novels, now is the time! Or, maybe watch the different movie versions of Pride and Prejudice. You could even try reading one of the many sequels written by various authors or listen to one in your car on your way to work. Truly, the list can be endless! All you need to do is pick six Austen-themed items to read and/or watch to participate. Note that you can mix it up a bit – maybe commit to watching three movies and reading two books – or if your TBR pile is huge, pick out six movies you would like to watch – YOU DECIDE!
I am deciding to go with the movie and television route. In a few months, I may switch things out. For now, I am just feeling overwhelmed with reading. Here are my six items all taken from the suggestion list:
- Lost in Austen: I got off to a slow start, but I finally finished my first review.
- The Jane Austen Book Club: I am a third finished and thought this movie was good Friday night viewing.
- Jane Austen in Manhattan: I really disliked this movie. The best part of watching it is that I am 2/3 finished with the challenge.
- Persuasion: I have made it to the halfway point with this movie which was a good break from studying for the bar.
- Northanger Abbey: Even though the challenge officially ended at the end of December, I am still plugging along and finished my fifth selection. You can read my review here.
- A&E Biography: Jane Austen I had to switch out this one. I decided to watch Jane Austen's Work. You can read my review here.
** A FULL MONTH LATE, but I finished!! Hooray for completing what I started, even if it takes longer than expected. Thank you for hosting such a wonderful challenge, Stephanie!**